Thursday 20 October 2011

Dancing to the Beats without a Sound


I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability.
-- Robert M. Hensel

The story about a blind hairdresser Salvin Okinda Mandu on your story at Citizen T.V proves that disability is not inability. I watch in dismay as the blind lady does an impeccable job with her hands; you can only know that she is blind when told. 
 
It is evident from the satisfied customers that though she is blind she does their hair in way that most seeing hairdresser may not. I am amazed at how she separates the hair, makes beautiful braids without assistance. This reminds me that the disabled have gifting and talents that leaves the ‘normal’ in awe!

Salvin Okinda displays a positive attitude despite the fact that she may never be an astronaut, her childhood dream that was cut short 8 years ago when she became blind. Her story demonstrates that it all lies in the attitude rather than physical abilities.

The only disability in life is a bad attitude.”
-- Scott Hamilton 
 
Watching Salvin’s story I am taken back to our visit to Machakos School for the Deaf.
It’s a Saturday morning. I wake up to the sound of birds chirping and bright light beaming through my window. I remember I have to drop some clothes and food to my friend so that she can go ahead with them to Machakos.

Today we visit Machakos School for the deaf. This is a visit that a group of friends from JCC visit annually. Though I’ll be joining them later I am excited as this is the first time I’ll make this trip. 

At 12:30 noon, I head to town to take a Matatu to Machakos town. In town, the procession paying the last respect to Nobel Peace Laureate, Prof. Wangari Mathai is making its final journey. I join hundreds of Kenyans lined up on the streets to pay my last respect to a Kenyan heroine, who laid down her life to fight for a greener Kenya and the world at large.

Back to my journey, I am joined by my friends at railways stage. We board a Matatu to Machakos and the exciting journey begins. In approximately one and half hours we are in Machakos town.
It’s a stretch of about 20 minutes to the school. We brave the scorching sun, and finally get to the school tired and hungry. We arrive just in time to be served with a delicious meal courtesy of Mrs. Dorcas Mutinda, a teacher and the champion of our visit.

Rejuvenated, we are briefed of the program for the afternoon. We are taken for a school tour to see the development projects of the school such as a fish pond.

Back to the hall; we are received a by excited children. I have always thought a room full of the deaf will really be quiet. Contrary to my belief; the children are as jovial and noisy as any other child.
It is amazing to see them discuss us in sign language. Though I may not understand the language, it is clear in their world there are no secrets. They discuss their feelings openly contrary to us who can talk for we would discuss in hushed tones.

We are welcomed by jubilation and treated to a variety of dances. The welcome will forever leave a mark in my heart as the teacher explains that the children get excited because some of them are never visited. To these children; our presence is enough, it is a sign that someone out there cares.

The guests are treated to a famous Kamba dance known as kilumi.

Adorned with purple and white attires with paint marking on their faces; the Kilumi dancers of Machakos school for the deaf electrify the hall. It is amazing to see their seamless coordination; with smiles on their face they follow the leader who with a whisker directs every move.

The dancers who have performed to the president in state house are extraordinary. They dance to the beats of Kithembe drum as if they can hear the sound. How they are able to respond to the beats that they have never heard is a wonder!

As if not enough, we are also entertained by a group of young men who exhibits the trendy break dance moves. They mix their moves with humor and the audience cannot get enough as we laugh our hearts out.

All these are performance from children who are completely or partially deaf. They take to stride their physical challenge and turn it around to execute their talents in a way that some of us in the room could not.

The deaf have every capability that any other child has if not more. It is painful that some of them have been rejected by their parents and the society at large. As teacher Dorcas Mutinda explains, most of the children in the hall are dumped by their parents in the school as they are not able to accept that their children’s condition.

For most parents; a deaf child is as a result of a curse, and the society does not make it any easier for them. 

As the speeches are made it is clear that this is the best decision we could have ever made. The teachers and students thank us for the love that we have shown to the pupils by making a trip to Machakos School for the deaf.

The day comes to an end and I wish that we could extend. It has been a major experience for me. I now really understand the deaf and I make a mental note to learn sign language. My friend suggests that sign language should be taught in our schools and I cannot agree more.

This experience reminds me of the story of the humming bird as told by the late Prof. Wangari Mathai. In her story she calls for every person to do their part and we can all make a better world. I plan to do my part; learn sign language and mobilize more people for the next visit.

1 comment:

  1. Good news!!!
    Salvin Okinda Mandu was healed of her blindness at the end year Christian meeting held in Kisumu, after a prayer for the blind by Prophet Dr. Edward David Owuor. See the video at
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKXSMTtQoSo

    ReplyDelete